Creating Refuge in Community While Living in a World of Turmoil
“Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Friday, August 26, 6:00 – 8:00 pm, Light snacks will be provided.
Proposed Agenda and Structure of Gathering:
- Pass the Talking Stick to give people the chance to share uninterrupted the recent events or happenings that have broken the heart, challenged hope, created fear, or otherwise profoundly shaken the soul.
(Five minutes per person.)
- Moment of Silence and Lighting of Candle to honor the Collective and Individual Suffering – that of human, animal, earth and the natural world.
- Creating of Alter: Each participant is invited to bring an item to represent the suffering of the world as you experience the impact of it. The item could represent a particular group of people, an animal species, a particular place on the planet, or it can be a more generalized symbol for global suffering.
- Shower of White Flower Petals – Brief Guided Meditation to envision and invite calm and comfort to the globe, to each other, and to ourselves.
- Sharing the Creative Spirit: Pass the talking stick for a sharing of poetry, music, art, and dance – your creative offerings to the group. Creativity embodies the gift of transformation. Bring a favorite poem or picture or song that touches your heart or open to a spontaneous moment of movement, however imperfect. In addition to relying upon the artists that we cherish, we can also enjoy the energy of our own creativity through sharing with each other. (Five minutes or so per person.)
“I do not at all understand the mystery of grace – only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.” ~ Anne Lamott
Peace is a journey of a thousand miles and it must be taken one step at a time. ~ Lyndon B. Johnson